STUDY SKILLS: HOW TO MANAGE YOUR TIME
Spend time to make time!
Make A Schedule:
- Keep an exact record of your time.
Begin at the hour you usually wake up in the morning and end at the time you usually go to bed.
- Prioritize your activities.
- Things you must do.
- Things you like to do.
- Design a weekly schedule using small blocks of time.
- Start with things that have fixed hours, such as classes, practices, a
b. Then fill in duties that are flexible, such as chores, homework.
- Next fill in time for the things you like to do such as talking on the telephone, computer games, surfing the Internet, time with your friends.
- Schedule studying in 50-minute blocks with 10 minute breaks. Use daylight hours as much as possible and do work that is more difficult when you are most alert.
- Double the time estimated for long-term projects and start early. Most people underestimate the time needed.
- Look for small blocks of time, which might be put to use, such as riding the bus. Wasted time are periods of time that are unaccounted for.
- Allow enough time to eat a nutritional meal.
BALANCE is a Key element of scheduling. Remember to schedule in fun, breaks, and rest. Planning ahead can save time by helping you to use your time more efficiently and by identifying periods of wasted time.